Thursday, August 05, 2010

Where I've Been - Part 1

Even if you're a casual GCL reader, you will have noticed that I took an unexpected three-month break from blogging following a couple of months of infrequent posting. Long-story-short...

Actually, it's a fun, long story. Here we go.

Back in March I decided to leave my job and take a new one. Sure, millions of people -- even in this economy -- do that, and it's the way life works, right? Wrong. For me, leaving the job I had enjoyed for four years was about more than just taking a natural next step, it was an opportunity to seize money, stroke my ego and engage in a little bit of drama. I couldn't stop patting myself on the back for making a smart, strategic decision and for getting everything I thought I wanted all before the ripe old age of 30. This was to be my now, and I deserved it because, in my mind, I'm smarter than the average gay in PR and I had been waiting my turn for far too long to be recognized for my abilities.

So off I went. To peddle discount wares. To make something of myself and think big and different. I barely lasted three months.

Timing, as you know, is everything. And the only good thing that came out of my self-importance and job-hopping was that the realization that I needed to pull myself together and out of a bad situation right away came just before the start of summer. In the days leading up to Memorial Day weekend I decided I had had enough of not eating and spending endless happy hours dissecting cryptic feedback and passive aggressive behavior.

I decided to give myself the BEST. SUMMER. EVER.

Cue Katy Perry's "California Gurls," it's been a daisy-dukes-bikinis-on-top kind of summer for me.

No comments: