Tuesday, May 01, 2007

LOL



Last night James and I attended the Live Out Loud Spring Gala, an event that honors GLBT high school seniors with scholarships for college. Over the course of the evening, six bright-eyed and truly outstanding kids shared their stories of leadership and their plans for college. One of the kids even wants to be President some day (though he should know that the Gay Conservative Liberal is a trademarked name).

It was a lovely night, if only because I got to see James at a resaonable hour on a weekday. But it was also nice to see so many dashing gay men raising a glass and digging into their pockets to invest in the future of our community. While I rarely look at men unless they're of a certain age and tax bracket, I realize that for every liberated man-about-town in Chelsea there's a kid somewhere that has to take a leap into the unknown and make something of his life -- even if people around him say he doesn't have much a life to hope for.

Fortunately a lot of these kids go on to do some amazing things. Or at least they're going to try. And when you look at the options available to young people today, regardless of their sexual orientation, you realize that by virtue of understanding the concept of community and of wanting to be better and do better for others, some kids really are Young Trailblazers (that's the name of the award last night's kids won).

High school wasn't THAT long ago for me. Though I was lucky enough to attend the High School for the Performing Arts here in New York (I majored in fine art), I didn't come out of the closet until I was 22. Surrounded by dancers and boys in mascara I still couldn't muster the courage to say "by the way everyone, I'm REALLY into Antonio Sabato Jr and his picture in my locker isn't just unfortunately stuck and unremovable." I don't even think the promise of a scholarship would have lured me out of the closet.

So, congratulations to yesterday's winners and tomorrow's leaders. As the closet door cracks open even more we're going to need outspoken, driven young men and women to stand up not just for the rights of a certain group, but for fairness for all people.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make an interesting point:

"I didn't come out of the closet until I was 22. Surrounded by dancers and boys in mascara I still couldn't muster the courage to say "by the way everyone, I'm REALLY into Antonio Sabato Jr and his picture in my locker isn't just unfortunately stuck and unremovable." I don't even think the promise of a scholarship would have lured me out of the closet."

So what is the impetus for these kids to come out? Is it the parents, the school, more openly gay people in politics, business, and Hollywood? Clearly something had to happen to lure them out of the closet. I'm sure the promise of a Young Trailblazers $2500 sholarship isn't the reason they came out As you said, mascara and dancers aren't enough for some people. What makes these kids so special? It would be interesting to probe into this a little deeper.

Rob said...

Holy crap!

A GCL post about gays that doesn't slam Bush. You feelin' ok?

Anonymous said...

Seems kind of quiet here. I guess everybody likes the Bush bashing after all. Better come up with a new post.

Gay Conservative Liberal said...

Totally! I just thought it would be nice to remind my readers (who are mostly gay) that in spite of our political differences we're still part of the same community. Am thinking of a controversial post as we speak. Stay tuned...

Rob said...

What community?

Anonymous said...

What community? How about all you gay boys who regularly comment on this blog day and night?

Rob said...

What community? How about all you gay boys who regularly comment on this blog day and night?

I think that not everybody is gay. Further, I dare say that there isn't enough to constitute a "community". Even if there were, just because we're gay doesn't make us a "community".

Am thinking of a controversial post as we speak. Stay tuned...

What? Are you actually going to slam DiFi for her war profiteering??? I won't hold my breath for you to grow a pair.

Unknown said...

A teensy reminder from GCL: "Fed up with the hateful rhetoric of the right and with the indecisiveness of the left..."

Now, what one might consider "indecisiveness" another might consider contemplation before taking action.

On the other hand..."hateful rhetoric" is...well, just hateful rhetoric, adding nothing to a serious debate.

Rob said...

Bullshit! "Hateful rhetoric" is anything liberals don't want to hear. If Republicans say anything other than "Thank you sir, can I have another!" it's considered "hateful rhetoric".

Do NOT doubt me.

Rob said...

And as far as "contemplation before taking action", the libs contemplate how their actions will benefit themselves politically or if it will benefit their union or tort lawyer buddies.

Don't even think they give a rotten damn about you.