Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Peace Out, Cindy Sheehan

Citing fatigue and disenchantment, Cindy Sheehan, a pillar in the national debate on the war in Iraq, has bowed out of the anti-war movement.

What started as a silent protest outside President Bush's Crawford, TX ranch demanding accountability from the Commander-In-Chief for the death of her 24-year-old son Casey in Iraq turned into a two-year spectacle that turned a grieving mother into an odious figure on both ends of the political spectrum.

This is the image that I'm always going to remember of Cindy Sheehan. I don't think hunger strike, I don't think vigils in Texas, I don't think of a pissed-off mom who has lost her son. I think of someone who lost touch with reality and wound up becoming a traitor. Not to this country (for what is a country after all if you think of what's worth laying your life down for...would I die for the U.S. if it meant protecting Idaho? My US is NY, the word country is elusive...but I digress) but to the movement of peace and democracy she supposedly represented.

Hugo Chavez is not a man of peace. He's no better than George Bush and yet for the Latin dictator's taunting of our President, Cindy Sheehan snubbed reason and common sense to further mock W. And it wasn't worth it. It came across as pathetic and self-aggrandizing.

Her parting words, though, did make me pause:

"Casey [Sheehan's son] died for a country which cares more about who will be the next American Idol than how many people will be killed in the next few months while Democrats and Republicans play politics with human lives. "

That much is true. Your job, Cindy, one that you took upon yourself, was to call out the circus and spectacle for what is was: vulgar, immoral and unacceptable. Instead you became your own freak show -- and you have no one to blame but yourself.

4 comments:

Rob said...

My US is NY, the word country is elusive...but I digress)

But you don't mind getting help from that "elusive country" when your ass gets pounded into the sand. I'll remember that remark.

Oh, you can have all your carpet-baggers here in Florida back. Left turn signals and all.

Your job, Cindy, one that you took upon yourself,

Oh please. She had a PR company pushing her. She did what the money demanded.

Anonymous said...

I hope her remaining kids don't have to join the military to pay for college because she pissed away her son's military life insurance policy ($50K+) on a bunch of land and flying off to visit Chavez and hospitals in Cuba. I feel sorry for the woman because she lost her son and her mind but there's nothing to thank her for. Just because I'm not a Bush fan doesn't mean I'm ready to move to Cuba or Venezuela. Speaking as the bleeding heart liberal I'm thought to be, I have to say...her overseas visits were even too much for me to stomach.

Rob said...

I agree, James. She is pathetic and pitiable. She still has no idea how much of a tool she was to the DNC and the MorOn.org crowd. She found out the hard way that you can't oppose the liberal left and get away with it.

She was sooo over long ago and when she started attacking Hillary, she was finished. Actually, she was done right out of the gates, but she had activist/Soros cash and a gaggle of slobbering imbeciles propping her up.

BTW, I can't imagine there are liberals who wouldn't like to hump Chavez's leg like she did.

Rob said...

BTW GCL, if you oppose Chavez shutting down media in VZ, does that mean you oppose Algore's "Fairness Doctrine"?