Monday, November 13, 2006

On Veteran's Day

On my way to the gym, then work but had to make note of the fact that today is Veteran's Day. Young men like Kevin Ellenburg, pictured here, are dying daily. Supposedly for our freedom but in all honesty the mess of this war has compromised the values that make this country great.

Whatever your position on the war, you can't forget that it's ordinary Americans that are being called into battle. So while I don't agree with our presence in Iraq, I support the men and women who are there, missing their families, risking their lives, and just hoping to come back home.

So, thank you to our soliders who remind us what sacrifice is, and here's to the safe return of those who remain in Iraq.

5 comments:

Rob said...

How nice of you to take time out of your liberal self-centered arrogance to mention the soldiers. What? Do you want a cookie in hopes that people won't question your patriotism?

Anonymous said...

To That Gay Conservative:
Just because someone is against the war and is liberal doesn't mean they enjoy seeing soldiers killed to bolster their point. Come off the sarcasm. This is the type of talk that keeps liberals and conservatives apart.

Anonymous said...

I'm not patriotic at all. It bothers me just as much to see a young American die as it does a poor African child. The senselessness of the times we live in behoove us to embrace human life instead of flags and party lines.

Steve T. said...

Incidentally - and while I do mourn the loss of those like Pfc. Ellenberg - I'm getting a bit creeped by the Orwellian terminology they keep using here. The report said he was killed by an IED, an Improvised Explosive Device.

That's not the best description of what it was, and it's not the right one. It's the worst, the most confusing, the most obscuring.

It was a BOMB.

I was going to ask, "Why don't they say so?" But you know as well as I.

Anonymous said...

Please keep doing what you are doing. I am the Chaplain that buried PFC Kevin Ellenberg. It was my last act as a Chaplain before leaving the Army. This war is evil and an act of aggression. We will all pay for America's hubris.