Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Folsom Street: Last Supper Indeed



From my girls at Jezebel: The gays have pissed off well-intentioned war-mongering Christians yet again with an ad for the Folsom Street Fair.

To promote the yearly leather fest, Leonardo DaVinci's The Last Supper was recreated to depict a bunch of gays before a table of sex toys. Dangerous sex toys if I might add.

The hardcore Christians are saying that if you can't mock Mohammed you can't mock Jesus.

Fair enough, I guess.

But here's the thing. Ask any Gucci-bag-toting, career-minded, skinny-jeans-wearing, self-and-cardio-obsessed queen in his 20s here in New York about the Folsom Street Fair and you're going to get a look of shock, awe and disbelief.

Kudos to Susan Jones at Cybercast News Service for her to-the-point headline about the controversial ad: "Homosexuals Mock 'Last Supper' With Sex-Toys Twist." But guess what, Suz, this homosexual aint never been to Folsom Street and he certainly has better things to do than mock the Last Supper.

Either I've gone soft or I'm just too busy with my life to care either way about EGS (Extreme Gay Sex), but in short, I think the Folsom Street Fair is the last thing the Christian Right needs to worry about. Instead of worrying about the mocking of a painting why don't they worry about that "thou shalt not kill" commandment they keep on breaking when they support the war in Iraq?

At the same time, I do see a lot of anger at Christianity in this ad. There isn't a need to promote S&M by mocking what many, including myself, believe to be the expiatory sacrifice of Jesus Christ. It's a repetitive cycle of hate and recrimination...

Me, I'm Christian and I'm gay. My only plea to my fellow gays is to leave Jesus alone. Go and hate the Pope and anybody else you think has wronged you, but Jesus is love and it's unnecessary to bring him into the same conversation as this that and the other.


One choice that does come easy for me, though, is the choice between normal sex and dangerous sex. I mean, take a good look at the ad for the fair -- they've got rubber fists and all sorts of painful-looking stuff that can wreak major havoc on delicate male orificies. Is that my cup of tea? No. And it doesn't float the boat of the gays I hang with either.


To purge my head of all this useless garbage I'm listening to and watching this:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just for fun, and some other points of view, try this: http://slog.thestranger.com/2007/09/other_last_suppers_wheres_the_outrage

Jim said...

Sorry, but you lost me on this one. You don't want someone condemning who we are, or who we love, but then you go and do the same thing. And everyone who lives in this country has the right, or should I say privilege? to feel and believe what they want. If that includes someone's interpretation of a work by a master than so be it.

That's what wrong with our community, we are worse than anyone when it comes to condemning people of our own community.

I am happy for you that you only enjoy "normal" sex, but who are you to define what is "normal" and what is "dangerous"?

But I have to say that I'm sorry that you only hang with gays that feel that way too, because the beauty of society is to gain something from what everyone brings to the table. No matter how different it may be from what you bring to the table. We're all different from each other, which is how we survive.

Just think how boring it would be if everyone was the same.......there would be no will to survive.