Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Women



Sometimes it's hard to be a woman, givin' all your love to just one man. You'll have bad times, he'll have good times, doin' things that you don't understand.

Tammy Wynette, how right you are.

In a political scandal that is sure to thaw what's left of winter, New York governor Elliot Spitzer has been accused of soliciting hookers to the tune of up to $5,500 an hour. Eek.

And while everyone is weighing in on the governor's political future, I'm struck, yet again, by the sight of a politico's wife having to mug for the cameras while her man admits to givin out a side of penis to everything and anything that moves except her.

It's got to be painful, nerve-wracking, humilliating - but is it worth it? While the cameras are rolling and the men are boo-hooing daliances with the intern, the cop in the bathroom, the former Israeli-aid or a hooker, are the first ladies bemoaning a marriage gone bad or are they countin' Benjamins and planning a spectacular Waiting to Exhale episode of tie-cutting, car-burning mayhem?

I would love it if James pissed me off enough so that I could burn a car, his clothes and then tell the cops "I'm sorry, officer. I was just burning some trash."

For real, though, I don't understand why these caught-with-their-pants-down men have to drag their wives out for a public caning. The way I see it, these dudes got themselves into the mess by themselves and likewise they should see their way out of it by themselves.

But what do I know? I'm neither a woman, nor part of a powerful political marriage. So hats off to Hillary, Dina, Silda, and Suzanne -- they stand by their men, mug for the cameras in spite of the shame, and (I hope) plan a very lucrative revenge.

Sing it Tammy:

No comments: