Monday, March 03, 2008

You Don't Matter

I'd love to send a memo to the gays on Team Obama saying "you idiots don't matter." But then I'd have to send the same memo to the Log Cabin Republicans and the folks on Team Clinton.

Here's a newsflash for my fellow gays: We're just a talk point for Washington, not an action item.

And to be honest, that's fine by me. I don't expect for the next POTUS to place my community's agenda at the top of her to-do list. Having to end the war in Iraq and saving our economy should keep her busy for four years -- and that should be enough for all Americans.

Yes, we had to get vocal post-Stonewall, in the days of Harvey Milk and in the midst of the AIDS crisis. But in the early 90s the spirit of grunge and hope catapulted the gays into normalcy and it's been a dizzying ascent to the top of the pop culture food chain ever since.

In spite of W's attempted assault on gay rights, his rhetoric came down to sticks and stones nonsense. That's because most Americans don't really care about the gays -- if anything, I hate more gay people than the average Christian fundamentalist, but that comes from firsthand experience, not homespun bigotry.

Still, for my benefit, I would recommend that Hillary tack gay marriage on to an article protecting the Second Ammendment. You know, the one that gives us the right to bear arms? Slip it in with no fanfare and you'll see how quickly everyone is going to drop this family values nonsense. And then everyone will leave the gays alone.

Or kill us.

This post needs some work...

No comments: