Friday, October 06, 2006

Smoke Up and Live Long


From CNN: Good news for aging hippies: Smoking pot may stave off Alzheimer's disease. New research shows that the active ingredient in marijuana may prevent the progression of the disease by preserving levels of an important neurotransmitter that allows the brain to function.

***
I grew up in a nice, dysfunctional Christian household, so of course this news kinda rubs me the wrong way. Especially because I've never smoked pot. But I must say, this sort of news makes me think pot should be legalized, as should all drugs. Liquor is readily available everywhere and I barely have a drink a week (but that's because I have body issues and save my indulgences for fatty foods which I then burn off at the gym or just puke out) so I don't think I'd be more inclined to buy pot, crack, meth, crank, or heroine if it was available next to my Dentyne Ice or Coca-Cola. But that's just me.

What do you think?

Sidebar: Why is the person holding the joint in this picture black?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is even better then when the news came out that a glass of wine a night was good for your heart. I'm not a pothead, only tried it twice in my life (and not terribly impressed), but pot has been demonized for so long when there is little evidence of harm that it causes.

It's harder for me to say "Yeah, legalize everything," because of the horrible cost of drugs like meth and heroin. With the system we have now (and the universal system everyone seems to want) I'M going to be the one paying for all the health issues caused by shooting yourself up with battery acid. But pot? It's been shown to help more health problems than it causes.

Jason said...

I'm not sure I follow why this would rub you the wrong way. Especially considering how horrible the effects of Alzheimers can be.

Anonymous said...

The picture of the guy holding the joint is of a black man because you selected the picture of a man holding a joint that was black. :) I doubt Getty Images is part of a wide conspiracy. :)

BTW. Love your blog.

Anonymous said...

Oops. CNN chose it. My bad! Definitely a conspiracy. :)

Anonymous said...

I totally disagree that all drugs should be legalized. There are many, many drugs out there that may have had a purpose at one time (e.g., cocaine) until they realized that people were dropping dead from heart attacks. Furthermore, there are plenty potential addicts out there who are safe only because they are afraid to go to a drug dealer. BAD, BAD idea. Pot, I put in a different classification then meth, LSD, coke, etc. It has medicinal purposes and when not abused, it is really no worse than alcohol and better for your liver.