Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Blood Has No Sexual Orientation OR Gays Just Want to Belong

The Scottish National Blood Transfusion Service is in a row with local gays over the organization's decision to ban gay and bisexual men from donating blood.

The U.S. and Canada have a similar policy in place and all countries cite the alarming rate of STDs within the gay community for their stance on the issue.

Now, call me an idiot, but who the hell cares? I'm thrilled that no one wants my blood - I like it just where it is. And the thought of having it sucked out of me and packaged for future use doesn't seem like a God-given right.

While I'm disappointed that the thinking behind this law is based on the idea that gay men are just harbingers of disease and evil, the fact of the matter is that when you're gay and sexually active there are certain risks that are probably unique to your lifestyle. And on the off chance that one person might slip through the cracks, well, we all know how an epidemic can start and spread.

I think there are other challenges the gays have to fight anyway -- the right to give blood doesn't rank on my list.

No comments: