Tuesday, May 27, 2008

San Francisco, California



As Memorial Day marks the official start of summer, over the next few days I'll be running my old travel posts to give you some inspiration for a summer getaway.

San Francisco, California
Original Post Date: July 2005

I left my heart (and some blood) in San Francisco.

The city by the bay was everything I had expected it to be: gay, clean, cold, and full of nerdy people. All kidding aside, San Fran is gorgeous. And though I personally wouldnt want to live there, I thought the scenery was lovely and the people were very friendly. Also, unlike LA, it seems like people in SF have actual jobs and take public transportation. SF seemed more real.

Highlights:

1. Alcatraz: Take the night tour. Well worth it.


2. SF Museum of Modern Art: If you're shopping on Market Street you might as well drop in. I didnt see much of the "extensive" Frida Kahlo paintings everyone raves about, but the space is nice and has a nice sized Impressionist collection and some works by lesser known artists (at least to me).



3. Chinatown -- so steep! How do those little people climb up and down those hills everyday? Craziness!


4. The Castro: Everybody get your lube on! Finally, at the age of 24, I have made my first gay hejira. I hope to make many more.

No comments: