Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Barack Obama Elected President of the U.S.

The car horns are honking, my neighbors are cheering, windows have been thrust open over Seventh Avenue here in Chelsea and the helicopters are buzzing overheard. We're celebrating the election of Barack Obama to the Presidency of the United States.

We're celebrating the will of the people. We're celebrating the re-claiming of America from the tired rhetoric of hate and division. This is democracy, this is possibility, this is the America we all want to believe in.









2 comments:

David said...

I woke up this morning very optimistic. It was immediately crushed when I read the news.

Gay marriage amendments passing in Florida and Arizona. A measure passing in Arkansas banning unmarried couples from adoption (the supporters made no secret that it targeted homosexuals according to the NYTimes). And Prop 8 too close to call by the NYTimes.

I'm hesitant to say this is the America I want to believe in. But the results of the election indicate that perhaps we'll make moves that way.

David said...

Yes on Prop 8.

This is definitely not the America I want to believe in.

I'm so furious I'm twitching.